cooper collier 12/9/2019 11:19:27 AM
I did not mean to promote this..... anyway
there is already a method to make a dialog type that you are suggesting.
THE EASY WAY or this is where to start to understand the concept.
Make a new custom button.
Look under the confirmation text line. you will see the.
ASK the user - select the EDIT Columns
Now pick the columns you want to edit.
THIS is a GREAT tool many folks already know about. Most people would use it to add a button to a View for quick updates like, UPDATE date, or something...
Pay attention to the fact that you can ask multiple columns and more importantly you can CANCEL and nothing happens.
BUILDING ON THIS... THE COMPLEX WAY...
RIGHT next the the Edit columns is the EDIT Form... At first glance you will think, Thats stupid! may as well use the edit button! WRONG!!!!
This is a very powerful dialog feature. You just need a few "tricks"
You are going to use Drag and Drop Forms, Behaviors and Actions.
These are the things you need to do.
1 - Make a Section on your form call it Dialog.
2 - Make some temp columns and put them in the section. You can even put some Text in it.
3 - Hide the section by default for edit and view
4 - Make a checkbox column call is SHOW DIALOG
5. remove the SHOW DIALOG column from the form you never ever want to show it to anyone,
6. make a button.
7. make sure the EDIT FROM is checked.
8. Save the button
9. THIS IS IMPORTANT. Before adding actions add an assignment
10 add an assignment to SHOW DIALOG = true.
11. Make a behavior, for when SHOW DIALOG = true ; make the Dialog section Visible, make all other sections hidden..
TADA --- you now have a dialog box!!!
AT THIS POINT ITS IMPORTANT TO "KNOW THE FLOW......"
IF the cancel button is hit, the assignments in step 9 are reversed (canceled) and the following steps do not run!!
If the SAVE button is hit, the Assignments are saved, THEN the following steps are run.
12. Add actions, I use what I call temp columns sometimes in the dialog section. sometimes even using it to build a child record from the main. The person will fill in all the columns then I will make a New Record action and then assign all the TEMP values.
13. FINAL ACTION... the last action should always be to clear or reset the TEMP columns and the SHOW DIALOG column... so it would be...
UPDATE RECORD : SHOW DIALOG = false
That is it.
I know this can be very confusing in this texts without screen shots.
SO. IF ANYONE WANTS, I can make a tutorial on this.
BUT... you will have to promise to send happy holiday thoughts our way!